Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Would it be alright to ride my horse on gravel?

So I had to get a horse babysitter to work my horse while I'm recovering from a bout of mono and she asked me if she could take her out on the gravel road for a trail ride. I'm not concerned about my horse's behavior but I've never really ridden her on gravel as she is barefoot. I have an farrier who doesn't dig out her frog as she suffered from a nasty stone bruise during the winter. But she also seems to have sensitive feet despite having calloused a lot, when I take her on the driveway back to the stable she doesn't look comfortable and takes small baby steps. Should I not worry about her feet since she has good hooves, or should I say no because she has no shoes and sensitive feet? I'm worried I'm just babying my horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment